Monday, October 31, 2011

The Griswalds Take Halloween


Kent, this is you dressed up in your costume a few days before the "big day".


Parker, this is you as an "extreme soccer player" You loved that green hair dye!

For starters, our town has trick or treat hours two days in a row...not sure why, but we love it, nonetheless.

Parker you had a game out of town on Sunday, and when we got home I let you guys get dressed in your costumes and go for candy in our cul-de-sac...which literally consists of 10 houses. Then we turned left out of our street and hit 4 houses, and then turned right and hit another 4. We were out for about 25 minutes before Kent, you asked if we could go back. You LOVE candy, so I knew something wasn't right.

Our friends were hosting a bonfire/chili/group trick or treat around their neighborhood yesterday on Halloween, and all 4 of us were planning on attending.

Cue the Griswald tradition of something always going awry on holidays and special occasions.

Yesterday after school ,Kent, you came home complaining of a head ache. I took your temp, and sure enough, you had a 102 degree fever. You were out of order for the evening. I felt so bad for you that I went to Walgreens to buy you the candy of your choice (Mike n Ikes and Swedish Fish), to McDonalds for a cheeseburger and fries, and I let you play computer games longer than any normal person should. You and Daddy stayed home and gave out candy to those who rang our bell. I had asked you if you wanted to dress up in your costume to do so, but you declined. Poor baby. I hate seeing your energetic self being lethargic and apathetic.

Parker, you and I headed off to the Kellers, and after about 45 minutes of Trick or Treating you realized you had a hole in your bag, and it was completely empty. You should have seen the look on your face when you registered what had occurred. I could tell you wanted to cry, but because you were surrounded by friends, you remained tough. You just buried your head in my side (of which I was weary of because your hair was dyed green and I was afraid it was going to rub off on my nice red pea coat---I know, I'm a terrible). Thank Jesus, seriously, Thank you Jesus, that you have such wonderful friends who all contributed to your candy fund. Mrs. Keller had an extra bag with her, and you were able to hit a few more houses before the night was over. You had more than enough candy to make any 7 1/2 year old content.

I chuckled to myself as I was thinking about Kent's fever on one of the kids most favorite days of the year, and how Parker had a hole in his bag and lost all his candy...this just keeps us in line with the Griswald tradition...in the past 12 months Parker threw up Christmas morning during Mimi's fancy breakfast at her professionally decorated dining room table, I got Kidney stones at Epcot on our once in a life-time vacation, I had to be away from you guys and at a funeral on my birthday...the list goes on.

We are the Griswalds, but our memories are laughable and they will last us a lifetime.

No comments: