Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So many things I read today in my Bible are impacting my heart. Scripture truly is the Word of God, and it actually penetrates hearts and minds, and leads us to repentance and change.

Here a few verses that stuck out to me today from Proverbs 20:

v1 "Whoever is led away by drink cannot be wise." This is why I chose to abstain from alcohol...even a little has the potential to damage my heart and my witness.

v3 "Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor" It shows strength when you can walk away instead of engage in conflict. Pride says you have to have the last word, but integrity says you don't.

v6 "Many will say they are loyal friends, but who can find one who is really faithful?" When it comes down to it, Jesus is the only dependable and loyal friend we will know.

v7 "The godly walk with integrity; blessed are their children after them." My life has been blessed because Mimi and Pop Pop walked with Jesus, and I hope that you have the same testimony.

v13 "If you love to sleep, you will end in poverty" Laziness will leave you with nothing.

v17 "Stolen bread taste sweet, but it turns to gravel in the mouth". If you steal, or obtain something dishonestly, the "reward" will be short lived, and the consequence will be eternal and bitter.

v18 "Plans succeed through good counsel. Don't go to war without the advice of others." A good leader isn't someone who makes decisions on their own. A good leader knows who to surround themselves with and is humble enough to take and seek advice.

v 19 "A gossip tells secrets, so don't hang around someone who talks too much." I have literally lost friendships because I have seen "loose lips" in someone, and I stop investing in that relationship. I'd rather have no friends, than friends who I can't trust.

v 20 "If you curse your father and mother, the lamp of your life will be snuffed out." Respecting and submitting to your parents is almost a guarantee for a prosperous life.

v 22 "Don't say,'I will get even for this wrong', instead, wait for the Lord to handle the matter." Don't seek revenge or justice for a wrong done to you. Let the Lord make the situation right, for He is just, wise, and more powerful than we are.

v 27 "The Lord's searchlight penetrates the human spirit, exposing every hidden motive." This passage scares me, and convicts me, if I am to be honest. I may be able to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, but all my heart and motives lay bare before the Lord. When I read this, I sighed out loud and then asked God to make my heart pure so that when his "searchlight" is upon me, He sees pure motives and a clean heart.

v 30 "Physical punishment cleanses away evil; such discipline purifies the heart." I don't see this as justification for abuse, but rather a reminder that consequence can soften our hearts, and make them moldable and teachable, and more susceptible to correction.


Just a simple way to read God's word, and proof that it speaks. Life is crazy busy, and there are 1,ooo good things that vie for our attention. But only one GREAT thing has the ability to satisfy my soul and lead me to all Truth, and that is the Word of God. I need to make more time to invest in to hearing God speak to me through his written word, and my prayer is that you realize that "the grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of the Lord will last forever." Really, Jesus and His Word are all we can depend on in this life. So read it, love it, live it.

No comments: