Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Parker, usually when you have soccer practice in Edwardsville, I bring a chair and a book, and I sit and read while you play. But, the other day I told you I was going to drop you off at practice and run to a few nearby stores. And by "nearby" I literally mean that the soccer fields and stores share a parking lot. I was not going to be far, and besides, 90 % of the other parents do not stay for the practice.

"Mom, you can't just leave me at practice.:

"I'm not leaving you. I'm dropping you off."

"What if I get stolen?"

"No one is going to steal you. You have 20 kids and 4 coaches...I'm sure you will all be safe."

"But what if I get hurt?"

"Coach has my number, and he can call me."

"What if I'm thirsty, and I can't find my water bottle?"

"I will set up my lawn chair and put your water bottle in it, so it doesn't get lost in the grass."

"Well..well..welll...what if I make a really good play and you're not here to see it?"

Ahhahh! That was the heart of the issue. You didn't want me to miss you doing something good. Whenever you make a play, or score a goal, you always look for me on the sidelines and give me a little smile. You love to share your accomplishments with us, and you don't want to miss an opportunity to be praised. Well now, how could I say "no" to that?

I grabbed "Gone With the Wind", and sat on my chair and supported you through your practice. I love that you still need me and want me there...I hope that lasts a while.

No comments: