Thursday, June 23, 2011

As cute as you two are, I don't suffer from "my kids can do no wrong" syndrome. I love you dearly, but I know full well what you are capable of. If you heart is like mine, and because you're human it must be, then you will have a daily struggle between flesh and spirit. You will constantly be presented with choices that will either be positive or negative, and some days you will be victorious and others you will not be. As a parent I cannot look the other way. I cannot be like Eli in the Old Testament who knew full well the depravity in which his children (Hophni and Phineas) chose to live, yet he turned a blind eye. He led a people, but he could not lead his children to righteousness. He was therefore punished and judged.

If I minimize your mistakes and justify your sins, I am jeopardizing your souls. So, because I love you and, and because I care about your eternity, I will do my best to correct with love, discipline consistently, and forgive abundantly. To love isn't to ignore, and to extend grace doesn't mean I deny your wrong doing. I pray that the Lord gives your dad and I divine wisdom to see the core of your hearts, to find out what you do and when you do it, and to respond accordingly.

I made poor choices in high school. I got caught. I got punished. And I am a better person because I received consequences from my parents. Actually, had I not been chastised, I don't know if I would have had a heart that was softened to hear the things of the Lord. By the grace and mercy of Jesus, my parents caught me at the beginning of my rebellion. They called me out on the carpet for my behavior, they disciplined me, they loved me, and they set me up to hear from the Lord. I don't know where I'd be in life if my parents ignored my behavior, or said, "it's just a stage", or justified my mistakes because they didn't think their sweet little Bethany was capable of such behavior. Thank Jesus my parents didn't suffer from "my kids can do no wrong syndrome!"

I see too many parents who justify or ignore the actions of their children in the name of "love". Because I love you, I pray you get caught when you sin. Because I love you, I pray for wisdom as I discipline. Because I love you, I will speak honestly to you. Because I love you, I will forgive you.

No comments: