Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hymns. I'm sure by the time you are adults, this word will be distinct and extinguished from the dictionary. I didn't necessarily grow up with hymns, because our church was a bit more "modern". However, I learned to love hymns when I was in Bible College, because we sang them in our daily chapel services.

Some are old fashioned, and they possess words that we don't use anymore, but most are still relevant. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good contemporary worship service....the louder the electric guitar and drums, the better. I'm loud and I like my music loud. But, there is something about a singing a hymn, a song that Christians for generations before me have sung. Hymns have history, and depth, and often you can research the origin of the hymn, and some of the stories behind them are extra-ordinary.

One of the one's I have in my head today is this one..


My hope is built on nothing less,
than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dear not trust the the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name

When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil

His oath, his covenant his blood,
support me in the whelming flood
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
oh may in him I then be found
Dressed in his righteousness along,
faultless to stand before the throne

ON CHRIST THE SOLID ROCK I STAND
ALL OTHER GROUND IS SINKING SAND
ALL OTHER GROUND IS SINKING SAND


***this particular one was written by Edward Mote in the 1830's. Edward became a Christian in his early twenties, but didn't enter full-time ministry until he was in his mid-fifties. It's never too late for God to use you, call you, or for you to finally surrender.

Anyways, I love how this hymn suggests that people will leave you, plans will fail, and things of this world will fade away. The only security and promise we have in this life, is that Jesus is God, and HE is our firm foundation. As Brother Mote so aptly puts it, literally, everything else is in this world is sinking sand. Jesus never fails.

No comments: