Monday, January 10, 2011



I have decided that parenting is hard work. It is not for the weak spirited.

Case in point #1) Parker, today you came home from school and after your snack you left your wrapper and napkin on the table. As soon as you swallowed your last bite of cookie, you ran off to play math games on the computer. I didn't notice it at first, but as I was doing a pre-dinner kitchen clean up, I spotted the mess on the table. It would have taken me .5 seconds to throw the wrapper and napkin in the trash. But what would that teach you? Instead I prepared myself for a fight, and called out for you to come in to the kitchen. Silence. I called again. You came, listened, obeyed, and then when right back to your game. It actually took me longer to call you and watch you, then it would have it I would have just done the job myself. But, I believe that simple inconvenience taught you responsibility.

Case in point #2) Kent, you did NOT like dinner this evening. Apparently meat loaf, carrots, and potatoes are not your favorite. You informed me this evening that you only like to eat hot dogs, peanut butter sandwiches with no crust, and sometimes cheese pizza. It would have taken me 1 minute (I have it down to a science) to make you a PB minus the crust entree. I could have avoided an hour and a half of crying, complaining, and pleading for another meal. I could have avoided a constant badgering for dessert. But, I took the hard road. I am not a restaurant. You eat what you are served...there is no menu or ordering. You went to bed without dinner tonight, ad certainly without dessert. I listened to incessant whining until it was time for bed. I could have given in, but what would that have taught you? It would have convinced you that whining gets results. That is not true, and you were reminded of that tonight.

I think that being a good parent is the toughest job in the world. It takes time, effort, energy, wisdom, consistency, and faith that if you train a child in the way he should go, he will not depart from it. It's my job to show you how to live. My job is to walk with you. My job is to lead by example. My job is to pray pray pray for you. My job is to considering parenting a job-a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week endeavor. Parenting is not for the faint-hearted.

I vow to be a good parent to you. I vow to show you love, grace, and mercy like my perfect Heavenly Father has shown me. I will follow His example, and discipline in love. I know it's hard work, but with God's help and wisdom, I'm up for the challenge.

No comments: