Monday, August 9, 2010


Parker,

On Saturday night when I told you it was bedtime, you said earnestly, 'Mom, just wait one minute. I'm working on something."

I came to find that you were sitting at the kitchen table writing a song, and here are the words....

God and me
God and me
Let me free
The Holly God
Let me free
You and me
Let me free
You and me
Let me free


First of all, I'm pretty sure you are meaning to say, "set me free" instead of "let me free", and I think you intended to say "Holy" God instead of Holly God. But, regardless of those minor grammatical issues, I think your song is beautiful. It is beautiful because you are expressing your heart to God, and you are a true Psalmist. You had a melody and everything.

You took the song to bed with you and when I came in to kiss you goodnight, I saw you crumple up the paper. When I asked why you did that, you said it was because you wanted to write a better song the next day. I, of course, retrieved that crumpled paper and smoothed it out. It is in your "memories box", and it is also in my heart.

I love you so much, and when I say that you inspire me to keep a tender heart towards the Lord, I am saying that with a mixture of pride and humility. You'll understand that paradox when you are a parent yourself.

No comments: