Tuesday, August 18, 2009



I usually address these thoughts to you boys, but tonight I'm posting to the most important man in my life, Jesus.

Jesus,

Tomorrow is a big day in the life of our precious Parker. He starts kindergarten in the morning, and I feel like I'm losing him already to the big big big world. Please go before him and ordain his steps. Knowing that you walk with him, gives me a peace that I know is supernatural. Please protect the seed that has been planted in his tender heart. While he is in the world, please keep his affections for you and not for the culture he lives in. Please water the seed that's growing, and nurture his faith in you. This is the first time that he will be exposed to mindsets and perspectives that aren't faith-based, and I ask that you will guard his heart and mind. I pray that he receives an education that will enrich his life, and make him a tremendous asset to your kingdom. Teach him now to resist temptation, and make his heart long for righteousness and purity in a depraved world. Help him to stand up for You, and for the helpless. Help him to be salt to his classmates and teacher, and a city on a hill to his community. May Parker be a blessing to those he comes in contact with. Use his sensitive heart, his sincerity, and his desire for success to make You known. Give me wisdom on how to train him, guide him, and prepare him for the world that awaits. Lord, remind me that I am not releasing him to the unknown. But like Hannah with Samuel, I am surrendering him to You. It is hard to imagine that You love him more than I, but that fact eases my anxiety. Bless Parker. May he find fulfillment in You alone, and may he enjoy working, learning, and contributing to the betterment of our society. Be with him as he experiences new endeavors, meets new friends, and encounters new territories. I pray for him to be like King David and find a friend like Jonathan quickly that he can depend on and trust. Help Parker to reach out to the low and lonely, and lift the spirits of those who are lost. Jesus it has been the greatest honor to be entrusted to parent Parker and Kent, but I know that I am imperfect and limited. You, on the other hand, are their perfect parent. Convince Parker that You love him unconditionally, and may his walk on the narrow path be a joyous one. Thank You Jesus that you watch over my Parker. Thank You that for Your Word that is a lamp to his feet, and I thank You that You will never leave him or forsake him. Thank You that You are his friend that sticks closer than a brother. Thank You that You died for Him. Thank You that You rose again, and Your defeat over death gives Parker victory. Thank You that You have assigned Parker's portion and cup, and have made his lot secure.

No comments: