Bobbi, Judith, Megan, and Mrs. B (my PK advisory board) gave me some valuable insight on how to raise my boys in the ministry. I have been thinking about these pieces of wisdom, and praying for God to help me to implement them into my parenting.
1) Pray..for their salvation, for their choices, for their getting caught, for their future, for their safety...for everything.
2) Humility..ask my children for forgiveness when I have wronged them or have overlooked their needs. (Mrs. B, this one brought tears to my eyes. It was so convicting)
3) Love... them unconditionally...love when they don't deserve it, love when they've made bad choices and have bad attitudes. Love them for who they are, and not for what they do. (Megan, I see how your parent's have loved you and Angel and it inspires me!)
4) Freedom...give them freedom to make mistakes. Give them freedom to be who they are. Give them freedom to be kids, without the pressure of having to be perfect. Give them freedom to express their disappointments and frustrations with being in the ministry. Give them freedom to fail. Give the freedom to succeed. (Bobbi, thank you for sharing something so personal. I feel like this factor is going to be so beneficial in how I view my boys.)
5) Be worthy of their respect. Live a life that is filled with character and saturated with integrity. Be the same mom at home, as I am at church.
6)Prioritize...it is my responsibility that my children know that they come first. Before any meeting, before any ministry, before any program. They are my most important ministry. (Judith..this one really touched me. And what spoke volumes to me was the fact that your stability came from your mom. I need to hear her advice, as a ministry wife firsthand!)