Saturday, January 10, 2009

My 600th Blog Post..How fitting for it to be about poop

I think we are narrowing down the catalyst for Kent's poop issue. We have had Kent tested for celiac disease and parasites, which both came back as negative. Today we had an appointment with a pediatric allergist, and Kent had the scratch test done. He was pricked 18 times with various solutions, and has been diagnosed with minor allergies to eggs, wheat, and corn. I said eggs, wheat, and corn...THOSE ARE IN EVERYTHING!!!

Most people with a corn allergy, substitute by eating wheat products. Those with wheat allergies, eat various corn products. My little guy cannot have either. This means special kinds of cereals, breads, and pastas.

The egg issue doesn't seem to be as serious because many children outgrow this aversion by the age of 5.

These showed up as minor allergies, but because the allergy is in three of the main ingredients in our foods, they all work together to create a negative reaction in Kent.

For 10 days he is supposed to have no eggs, corn, or wheat, and then after that I am to begin to introduce them one ingredient at a time in three day increments. This will hopefully highlight the most intrusive culprit. We have a follow up visit in three weeks.

I just want to get to the bottom of the poop investigation, so my little guy can be healthy and happy.

3 comments:

Angel said...

Awww..poor Kent! I hope he adjusts ok to the changes and that you can get through it too!!

Judith and Lance said...

Sounds like he'll be eating green beans and meat for the next little while.

Megan said...

awe. I will be praying for him and you as you try new things.