Thursday, January 10, 2008

Migraines

One of the characteristics that I have inherited from my loving family, is the migraine gene. Starting with my last year in college, I will get two to three dehabilitating migraines a month. I do no get them as often or as severe as some of my other family members, and for that I am grateful. But, I haven't been able to figure out why I get them, or what causes them. Sometimes a strong scent, a windy day, or a lack of sleep can trigger them, and other times I will get a migraine out of nowhere. Last night before bed, one hit hard. These are the types of headaches where asprin does not help. The only remedy I have found is to rub Vicks (yummy I love the smell!) on my temples, tie a bandanna around my head tightly, and lie in bed with the lights and TV off. Usually by the time I wake up in the morning the headache has subsided.

At the sight of his wife walking around the house with a rag on her head, and smelling like menthal, Erik can' t help but laugh (and be grossed out). Every night before he goes to sleep, Erik will kiss me and tell me he loves me. When I am smoothered in Vicks, he opts out of that romantic tradition. In the words of Stephanie Tanner, "how rude!".

I can't really blame him though. I love Vicks, but maybe it's just because I'm an old lady at heart.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Shame on him! He could at least kiss your hand! Tee Hee...

I hope you are feeling better today!

Megan said...

I also get really bad headaches at time. I don't know if I get it from my mom or just because I seem to get everything :} My mom doesn't have them anymore, but use to get them really bad.
Ur hubby needs to get over the smell.:} I also LOVE it! haha

Angel said...

Tell Erik to get over it...it's for better or for worse!

Samantha said...

I love the smell as well! At least you don't smell like B.O.!

Erik Scottberg said...

um, i do kiss her hand or shoulder when she's using vicks.

she conveniently left out the fact that she douses herself in it. her entire face is smothered in it. even if i tried to kiss her face, i'd have to work through an inch thick layer of her vicks mud mask. (i shudder at the thought).

vick's is one of the world's worst smells. it makes my stomach turn.