Friday, January 11, 2008

Why

There have experiences in my life where I have asked God "Why?" Initially I would feel guilty or condemned for expressing such a lack of faith. But, in Matthew 27:46, Jesus asks his Father and His God, "Why have you forsaken me?" In my valleys, I have asked that same question. I truly believe that God, in all his perfection, intentionally created us with emotions for the purpose of expressing them. Engaging our emotions glorifies the inventor of them. I don't believe that God frowns upon our exercising of anger, doubt, frustration, or hurt. I think the opposite; I think He longs for us to communicate our hearts to him, and in our bare honesty, He can move. We are closest to him, when we are being transparent, even if that communicates how far we feel from Him.

Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to those who are broken-hearted, and to those crushed in spirit."

Psalm 91:1-2
"He that dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my strength. My God in whom I will trust."

Psalm 16:5 "For He has assigned my portion and cup, and has made my lot secure."

1 Corinthians 12:9
"My grace is sufficient for you. My power is made perfect in your weakness."

2 comments:

Kelly Weinberg said...

Thank you Bethany for this blog! I have been asking God "Why" for the past 10 months! All I've ever wanted to be my whole life was a wife and a mother, and God blessed me with the wife part, but I am still waiting and longing for the mother part! I know God knows my desires and hears my cry and someday HE will bless Rick and I with a baby, but in the "waiting" time I know it is okay to ask him "why"??!

I love these verses! You have brought such encouragement to me through your blog today and for that I am thankful!!

Megan said...

I ask that question ALL the TIME! I even ask myself, "Why am I asking God Why?" I know he always comes thru for me, it's just the timing I don't like or the way he answers my cries for help. Thanks for your blog.