Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Can of Worms is now closed

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on the issue discussed yesterday. The comments were very informative, and for the most part, respectful. I had several people ask where I stand on the issue. I hesitate to share my view because I don't want to alienate friends or loved ones. I know just because my opinion is different, and what some will label as "conservative", I will be accused of being judgmental, closed minded, and intolerable.

But, if you know me at all, you know that I usually say what I think. So with that all said, for myself, I would not and have not (well unless you count the time when I was four and drank some of Grandma Bea's "apple juice"-Thanks Grandma for ruining my streak!!!) consumed an alcoholic beverage. I have numerous reasons (of which I will not go in to), but the foundational motivation for that choice, is that's what I believe God has laid upon my heart for my life. I just never saw the need or purpose behind myself drinking. I crack myself up, I enjoy company with friends, I can relax easily, and I'm crazy enough without it!

Besides, I think I have turquoise blood. (a humorous reference for a product of the A/G. The Assembly of God Headquarters is a turquoise building with matching doors, siding, windows, shutters, and some furniture!) I'm attempting to lighten the mood; this was a delicate topic and I sincerely thank you for helping me to understand various viewpoints.

Now, if we want to talk about indulging in chocolate, I'm the first to admit I have a problem!

P.S. Parker got his cast off. His arm is fine, but it smells so bad, I want to vomit. That's all.

8 comments:

Samantha said...

Awww...poor kid...his mommy thinks he's smelly.

Does it look any skinnier than the other arm?

Megan said...

I am glad I am not a big chocolate fan. I eat it, but can't eat a lot of it. I am thankful for that. haha I do love browies though. That is one chocolate that can never get old! Have a great day!

Kelly Weinberg said...

You definitely crack me up!! "Turquoise blood" - ha...I got it before you explained what it is!! I have that blood too!! It's been awhile since I have seen the "blue vatican"!

We should plan a ten year reunion from college trip down to Springfield. Now that would be fun! We could even visit our first dorm room together in flower. That was such a gross room!! I would never have made it living in that dorm room if I didn't have you living in it with me! At least the next year we had a dorm room with carpet!! :)

Angel said...

The turquoise blood thing is hilarious! It's been a long time! I had no idea Parker had a cast on! What happened?

Karebear said...

That was a really good topic, Bethany! I thank God that He prods the hearts of His children. And if we start to misuse our freedoms or go beyond the boundaries He has placed for us, He gently (or sometimes, not-so-gently) disciplines us and calls us back to that childlike innocence. As a stronger christian, Peter felt freedom from the Jewish law to the extent that he was eating meat, without regard to whose company he was sharing. And it took a new convert, Paul, to call him on the carpet and say, "Dude, don't push your freedoms on a weaker brother." I guess that is what I keep thinking about in regard to this topic. And it has made me think about ALL the areas in which perhaps I need to return to that childlike innocence. After all, I want to represent Christ in the purest and most accurate way possible. So, thanks for putting yourself out there and striking up such an intriguing conversation! Hugs!!

Tina said...

i read your last post, and found it interesting. alcohol, in general, tastes absolutely disgusting. i dont see anything wrong with social drinking, but constant excessive drinking is a problem.
i usually tend to stay away from drinking, mainly because i am not 21 i dont feel like getting in trouble, and losing the trust that my university has in me.
in regards to religion and god, it depends on the person. i, myself, am not very religious, and don't see the harm in enjoying the occasional drink with friends. [as long as you're of age, not driving, etc].
you asked that we respond anonymously, but i doubt there will be an uproar with my response.

ps im addicted to chocolate.. i probably have more chocolate running through my veins than blood. hah.

Bethany Patrice said...

Tina...you are hilarious. One day, we need to open a resteraunt where everything is based on chocolate. MMMM...every woman's dream.

PS...that is what I love about you. You are a strong, opinionated young woman, but you are also respectful and sincere. Run for president already!!!

Crystal said...

Bethany, after much thought into this subject I came back to the same result as you. Plus I signed a paper before I came over here so that kind of sealed the deal! ha, ha Go turquoise!!!