Monday, July 2, 2007

One-a upon-a time...

This is how Parker begins every story he tells...

So I'm feeling a bit convicted today. One of my neighbors was mentioning that she was having a hard week coping with life's difficulties. She isn't a believer, so I nodded in sympathy and even gave her a comforting hug. After I left her, I felt impressed to go and get her flowers to help brighten her day. I was going to get them and put them on her porch, so that when she woke up in the morning, she'd be greeted by a pleasant surprise. Well, the day cam and went, and I did nothing. There were several reasons why I didn't carry through with my initial plans. First, I was honestly busy Saturday and Sunday. Our lives are crazy hectic, but I know that is not an excuse. Next, I listened to the negative voice inside my head. "Flowers? That is so juvenile", and "She may be offended, and feel like your sympathy is pity," and "Flower's aren't going to solve any of her problems." By the time I had finished conversing with myself, I had convinced myself that doing nothing was better than doing something.

Why can I not just listen when I feel the Holy Spirit talking to me? Why can I not just go out on a limb and move out of my comfort zone? Why do I have to make "sense" of every task God asks me to do? Why do I find it so hard to be obedient? How can I serve the Lord wholeheartedly for 13 years, and dedicate my life to ministry, yet hesitate when God directs me in a simple way.

No comments: