Friday, December 16, 2011

We spent some time over breakfast this morning reviewing proper gift getting etiquette. For example, if someone gives you a gift and you open it to find a loaf of stale bread, you are to respond, "Thank you for thinking of me, I really like the color." So I tested each of you,

Parker, I told you that you just opened the game of Sorry (which you already have), and you responded, "Thank you for thinking of me. This is a fun game!"

Kent, I told you that you just opened up socks, and you responded, "Thank you for thinking of me, I really don't have a lot of socks. I really really don't."

Then I told you that if you felt like you need to make a comment on the gift,because you just couldn't hold it in, you could find your way over to me and whisper it in my ear, "Can we return this?", or "I already have this", or "I don't like socks."

I reviewed the story of the Apostle Paul with you. I told you about his conversion on the road to Damascus from the persecuting Saul to the greatest missionary that ever lived, Paul. I explained to you that Paul was beaten, shipwrecked, put in prison, starved, etc etc, and he still managed to say, "I am content in everything." We talked about the meaning of being content with what we have, and not always needing more toys, more games, more bikes, more DVDs, more this and more that.

I asked you then what it means to be content and Parker you said, "It means to just be happy with what you have." Kent, you said, "Don't want more stuff."

This is a lesson I am still learning, and need to be reminded of daily. But now is as good as season as any to take the time to review this fundamental principle of being a follower of Christ.

Philippians 4:12, "I have learned to be content in any and all circumstances..."

No comments: