Friday, October 28, 2011

The Cardinals are in the World Series, and we live in a sea of red...but our blood is royal blue. I have had your teachers tell me it would be a good idea for you to support the Cardinals at school, to which I replied, "I appreciate you being concerned for them, but that's not what we teach them at home". You chose a team, you support them, you commit to them, and you exemplify loyalty and faithfulness to that team-regardless of their record-or where you live. Growing up on the Northside of Chicago made us Cub fans. That is who I chose when I was 7 and watched my 1st 3 hour game on WGN. In the past 26 years, we've only had a handful of seasons to celebrate, but we're fans regardless.

I lived in Cubs territory my whole life until we moved to the South Side of Chicago in 2002 to serve at a local church there, and then we stayed in the Southern Suburbs for our next ministry position as well. We lived in the heart of White Sox territory, and were living there when they won the World Series in 2005. It was NO FUN, but we survived.

Now we are living in St. Louis while the Cardinals are in the World Series. You boys take quite a beating at school, but you keep on ticking. You take all the ridicule in perfect stride. You've never once came home and wanted to change allegiance, and that makes my heart swell with pride. Instead, all the opposition has caused you to be more bold for the team you love.

Today was "wear a hat" day at school for you, Parker, and you proudly wore your Cubs hat. I asked you if you were prepared for what you were going to face today, and you just smiled and said, "Yep!".

I see a spiritual parallel here. We, as Cubs fan living in St. Louis or the South Side of Chicago, are in the definite minority. But all of the backlash you have received from your peers has only made you stronger. You have been tested, and you've have been found faithful to your team. In the same way, you as a Christians are in the definite minority in this ungodly world. My prayer is that all the persecution, ridicule, and backlash you will receive will only make you a stronger follower of Christ. You will be tested, and my prayer is that you will be found faithful. I pray that you will be defiant to the enemy, absolutely refusing to back down. I pray that you will be an unwaivering follower of Jesus, and though no one else may be on your side, you would still stand up for Truth.

It reminds me of an old old song that I sang when I first surrendered my life to Christ as a teenager...I literally lost friends and social status when I got serious about my faith, but it was worth it. I would sing these lyrics over and over again..

I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back
No turning back

Though none go with me, still I will follow
Though none go with me, still I will follow
Though none go with me, still I will follow

No turning back
No turning back

No comments: