Friday, September 23, 2011

Boys,

I hope one day you'll understand that all discipline is done in love. In fact, Dad and I punish you because we love you. We have to teach you that actions have consequence, that submission to authority is imperative, and that taking ownership of your behaviors is crucial. If we didn't love you, we wouldn't pay any attention when you make bad choices, and thus your behavior would spiral out of control.

Scripture tells us that God disciplines those he loves. Growing up, I made some poor choices, and Mimi and Pop Pop had to punish me on several occasions. I admit, my immediate response to instruction was not "Oh my parents love me so much, I'm giddy!" But, as time went on, I began to realize that I was able to handle conflict, I was able to stop and think before acting, and I was able to respect those in authority over me. That is all because Mimi and Pop Pop taught me how to do that, and they did that because they loved me.

I hope that you will never believe the lies of the enemy that tell you that discipline is done out of spite. I pray that you have contrite hearts, and teachable spirits. I pray that your pride will not inhibit correction, and that you will realize that we love you, and we care about your relationship with God and with others.

No comments: