Sunday, August 14, 2011

222 of 365

222 of 365 by erikscottberg
222 of 365, a photo by erikscottberg on Flickr.



Oh dear...I feel a very sappy post coming on. I intended to wait until the night before Kindergarten to write to you, but judging by the way I'm unraveling now, I will be a basket case by tomorrow evening. I won't be able to breathe, let alone form a coherent sentence.

I am unbelievably in awe of how fast this day has come. I remember the day you came in to this world...unexpectedly early on the 4th of July. You were born on literally the loudest night of year, and you made your grand entrance with a bang (or maybe that was the fireworks I could hear all around me). I will never forget that day, much like I will never forget the day you begin this new chapter in your life. .

From the get go, your personality was different than your brother's. If I looked at Parker disapprovingly, he'd cry. When you were barely walking I could get down to your level, and glare at those blue eyes of yours, and give you a stern and steady "NO", and you'd look back at me as if to say, "Bring it Lady". I'd continually have to remind you that I was your boss. Literally, I'd have to say, "I'm the boss. Not You....now come over here and give me a kiss."

I will miss my Walmart cohort, my Target companion, and my audience in the bathroom. I will miss hearing Blue's Clue's and Busytown in the background now. I will miss being on the phone with a client, and seeing you dancing in the office doorway with a packet of fruit snacks in your hand unopened until you asked for my permission. My Wal-mart cart will seem lighter now, as you aren't hanging on the back end trying to do tricks as I push it. My arms will be empty each day now at 2pm, instead of cuddling you for a much needed quiet time. I will have to make the trek out to the mailbox daily, because you won't be here to run out as soon as the mailman pulls away. I will have to eat lunch alone now, as my dining companion will be feasting in a cafeteria instead. The day Parker went off to Kindergarten I came home and snuggled you tightly. What will I do Tuesday? I am going to miss my buddy. I am going to miss having you by my side, Kenters. I will miss my shadow.

Here are the things I pray for you as you enter in to your school age years: I pray for Jesus to walk by your side day in and day out. I pray for healthy and good friendships to be formed in your life. Even now, I pray over your choice of companions. Corinthians says, "bad company corrupts good character," so I pray that you will surround yourself with those that will sharpen you "as iron sharpens iron". I pray that you will learn to submit and respect authority, and to honor those who God has placed in leadership over you. I pray that your passions will find focus, and that your strong will becomes an asset in your life and endeavors. I pray that you will be an influencER and not someone who is influenced by the culture you are in. I pray that you will be IN the world, but not OF it. I pray that you will stand for righteousness when others chase emptiness. I pray that you will pursue holiness. I pray that if no one goes with you, you would still follow. I pray that you will depend on God's strength to help you overcome adversity in your life, and that you'd rely on His grace to help you navigate your frustrations. I pray that you'd be obedient to whatever call He places on your life. I pray that you'd have compassion on those that others have overlooked, and I pray that popularity will seem fleeting to you. I pray that you'd view your school as your mission field, and that you'd reflect the love of Jesus to those who you sit by and interact with each day. I pray that the Holy Spirit convinces you of the love of Christ, and that you readily accept the gift of salvation that Jesus offers. In the name of Jesus, may your heart, mind, soul, body, and spiritual seed be protected by His precious blood. As you walk in to Bethalto East on Tuesday, I pray you know that you do not walk alone. I pray that you will always remember that He will never leave you or forsake you.

I love you Kenters, and even though you are growing up, and moving on to new adventures, you will always be my blue-eyed, chubby cheeked, bunny carrying, skipping and jumping, snack sneaking, boundary pushing, cuddle bug.








1 comment:

Judith and Lance said...

You have to stop breaking my heart w/ these posts!!