Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I don't know why I was thinking of this story this morning, but it was one of the most funny moments that Auntie Shar Shar and I have had together.

A few years ago we were attending the funeral our friend's father (obviously, that's not the funny part). It was being held in Naperville, so you boys were at Mimi and Pop Pop's house with them, and Auntie Shar Shar had a babysitter for Blake because Uncle Jason had to work.

We pulled in the parking lot and before we headed in, I grabbed my black jacket from the back seat at the last minute. Auntie decided to leave her coat in the car because she didn't want to mess with it. If you know me well, you know that my single greatest hatred is COLDNESS. Anyways, we walked to the building, and on our way we discusses strategy.."Okay, we are going to go in, sit through the service, give our friend a hug,and then jet out of there as soon as possible because we need to get home to the kids."

Before heading in to the chapel, I walked over to the coat rack and hung up my coat next to the other mass of jackets. We went inside and sat through the service, we hugged our friend, and then I went to retrieve my jacket from the rack so we could leave. But, to my dismay, my jacket was no where to be found. I looked on all of the racks and I could not find it. I knew that I knew that I knew that I hung a jacket up, and I came to the conclusion that someone else took it by mistake.

I whispered to Shar Shar what the problem was, and her and I begin to search far and wide for that jacket. We were like spies on a mission: we were inconspicuously looking at each female with a black jacket on trying to see if they were wearing mine by mistake. Of course, we got the giggles, which is never good at a funeral. Auntie Shar Shar kept begging me to leave, but I refused to go without my coat! Finally, the whole crowd had cleared out and still no sign of the jacket. THere was one jacket hanging on the rack, but it wasn't mine. I came to the conclusion that someone took mine mistakenly, and the jacket left hanging was theirs. Auntie convinced me to leave, and instead of being the first one's out, we were among the last..I just couldn't give it up!

We get in the car and we are driving down the road. Shar Shar is grumpy because we were soooo late in getting home, I was grumpy because someone "stole" my jacket. And then, it happened. I turned around to get something out of the back seat, and wouldn't you know, my jacket is there! How in the world, I wondered, did that get there? Did someone put it in there? Did it walk to the car?

Then it hit me.

"Hey, Shar, where's your black jacket?"
"In the back seat. Unlike you, I didn't take mine in!"
"Ummm...."

Yep, I had mistakenly taken in Shar Shar's jacket inside, and it was her coat that was taken.

When we realized what had happened, we laughed so hard we literally had to pull over.

"Let's go back and look for my jacket" she said.

"Ohh...interestig. When it was MY jacket, you couldn't wait to get out of there. When it's your jacket, we have to go back."

Then another wave of laughter hit.

That jacket I saw on the rack all by it's lonesome at the end of the night? That was Shar Shar's. I didn't know it, and she just thought someone had the same coat as her. As Pop Pop says, "Oh Vey". All in all, it worked out. I had my jacket, and Shar Shar had the perfect excuse to go out and get a new, more stylish coat.

Alls well that ends well.

We are the stooges.

1 comment:

aM <3 said...

I remember when you told us this story all that time ago!!