Saturday, September 12, 2009

Home Church

We had the chance to visit my and Daddy's home church today. Both Daddy and I grew up attending Calvary Church in Naperville, IL. We met in the youth group there, and we got married in the chapel there as well. Both of our families attend there still. There is something so powerful about being back in the place where God touched my life. As I sat through tonight's service my eyes kept going to the exact place at the alter where an evangelist, Rich Wilkerson, prayed over me, and where I felt burdened to pursue the call of ministry upon my life. Even though the church has thousands of people there, I can still look around and see the same saints that were there when I was a child. I can still pick out several choir members who have been there for over 20 years. I event took a quick journey past the Bride's room where I stood before I walked down the isle to marry Daddy. I feel at home there. I feel God's presence there like no other place. I feel connected to God in a unique way because that's where the foundations of my faith were built.

Traditionally pastor's kids will be involved in more than one church throughout their life, due to the transitions of their ministry parents. I hope and pray that you'll know what it is like to have a "home church". The place where you can go and feel completely peaceful. I want you to be able to walk in to a sanctuary and pin point places at the alter where God touched your life. I want you to have home church, and a spiritual family that inspires you.

No comments: