Sunday, August 30, 2009

Parker and Kent,

I am SOOO proud to be your mom. Today you received your first Buddy Barrel from church. It's a yellow container that we use to help collect money for missionaries. When we got home we taped the Kemps (our missionary friends) prayer card to the outside of the barrel. I wanted you to have a face to associate with your giving. Plus, we had just prayed for the Kemps earlier in the week and had explained to you what missionaries do. We told you where the Kemps are living, and we told you a little bit about how they loved Jesus so much that they went to another country to be sure that people there knew how much Jesus loved each of them.

I scrounged around and found a few coins around the house and I had you put them in the barrel to start us off. Within a few seconds Parker, you shouted "I know!", and ran upstairs. You returned with your personal piggy bank and dumped all of the contents of your bank on to the table.

"This can help Jamie and Tasha! Now they can buy a house and food and help poor kids!"

I wanted to be sure you understood what you were doing, so I reminded you that if you put your money in that barrel, you were giving it to God and his missionaries and you couldn't take it back out. You were okay with that, and went right on putting ALL of your money in. Kent, you giggled and helped put all the money in.

The best part...you both gave so cheerfully. I was brought to tears sitting at our kitchen table seeing you give so freely to missionaries, and our close and personal friends. I hope you carry this enthusiasm with you as you grow older. When you score a goal Parker, I am bursting with pride. Kent, when I watch you and see how mature you are for three, I can hardly contain the pride I feel. But, I would have no greater joy than to see you both be men who love to give to God and to His purposes.



3 comments:

Mike Stenglein said...

Amazingly heartwarming! Two great kids being raised by some outstanding parents!

Joan said...

Wow! Parker I am so proud of you! You and your brother are amazing! I pray some day you will see the huge impact of giving all for someone else. You're both looking more like Jesus every day!
I love you bunches!
Grandma Joan

Cara said...

That put a smile on my face! i love the last picture!!