Sunday, March 9, 2008

After all I've seen...

Mark 4...Jesus calms the wind and the waves while on a boat with the disciples. When they come and wake Jesus up from his much deserved rest, he answers them with "Why do you have such little faith? Do you still not believe?"

At this point, the disciples have seen Jesus heal the sick, cast out demons and go toe to toe with the revered Pharisees. They've witnessed his powerful teachings, and have seen the way others are drawn to him. They have seen miracles. They have seen Jesus in action.

They've trusted him enough to drop everything and follow Him (giving up livelihoods, and leaving families), yet they still have unbelief.

When it comes time for them to trust in Jesus for their own needs, they doubt. When it comes to them knowing that Jesus is in control of their safety, of their future, and of their well-being, they lack faith.

I have seen Jesus do miraculous things, yet I question. I have "dropped my net" and become a disciple of Jesus which means that I trust him enough for my salvation and my righteousness. I trust Him with my eternity, but why do I fret then, when storms brew? I know God is talking to me , and like He did with the disciples, He is asking, "Bethany, after all you have seen, you still do not believe in me and in what I can do? Why do you doubt?"

3 comments:

Megan said...

Yes! I needed that word this morning. God has healed me and saved my life MANY MANY times and has shown me so many things. But I still have trouble with doubting and trusting. I know he will take of all things. Thanks!

Kelly Weinberg said...

Do you remember when we tag team preached on this passage in the junior high service at Calvary?! I think the title of our message was "The Waves of our Lives"! HA!

Faith is something I have to ask God for everyday! The enemy loves to invoke fear and doubt on us! Even though we know that Jesus is capable of doing everything we could ever ask or imagine, our human nature still questions whether or not we should trust. Our Spirit is willing, but our flesh is WEAK!

Monst3rjoe said...

All we Christians can admit it gets hard once in a while, but I know that's just the devil attacking strongly at every little opportunity he can get. We need to just learn to not give him those opportunities. He wants no-one to be close to Jesus, and whoever is, he just wants to make them drift furthur away. He's tricky, yet with God always on our mind, he's nothing.