Sunday, September 16, 2007

A typical Sunday

On the way to church this morning, Parker had an accident...a wet one. We were already running late for the 9:00 service in which I was supposed to teach our student leadership class. I had to leave Parker in the stall of the bathroom, while I dropped Kent off at nursery and hunted down a change of clothes for him. I finally found a pull-up and some pants that were two sizes too big. He cried and cried because he didn't want to wear "baby pants', but we didn't have any other choice. I couldn't go home because I had to teach and also do the closing devotional in Junior High Church second service. I got through first service, and just kept Parker in class with me. By the time second service started, Kent was ready to leave nursery, so I had to add him to my growing list of things I had to keep track of. Now, here I am in second service, trying to give the devotional and I have both of my boys, whining, in the back of the room. "I'm hungry, I'm tired, I wanna go home, I don't like these underwear..etc, etc." I am trying to keep my composure during the message, but I truthfully almost lost it. I finally decided that it is healthy for these junior highers to see that first and foremost I am a mom to my two precious boys. I just stopped in the middle of the message and started to pick up the fussing Kenters. Then, one of our leaders took Kent on a walk around the church, and Parker then sat quietly until I was done. A morning like that exhausts me...I have the afternoon to recover before I go back for small groups tonight.

I want to teach, preach, and serve, but at this point in the game my life is way too unpredictable. You never know when one of your kids is going to wet their pants, or get a fever, or pink-eye (all of which have happened in the last two weeks). So, how do you politely turn down requests for service. Do you say, "I'd love to teach that class, but my son may have an accident that day" ? You just never know!

I have one word to describe today...."AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

4 comments:

Janna Howard said...

but how can you get mad at those innocent little pouts?

sharonie said...

okay you will never regret putting your kids first above all other duties....!

Megan said...

Ur kids always come first and I promise you they will remember that. I remember the times my dad and mom said no to "church things" for our family. I also remember being upset when they didn't, but I know now that, that is how ministry is and its a 24/7 job. U are a great mom and did a great job! I hope ur small groups go well. We have our small groups at our house. TONIGHT IN ABOUT 45 MINUTES! haha Have a great day!

Angel said...

Sorry you had a rough morning! If it makes you feel any better, Josiah's been wetting his bed almost every night. So, I started putting pull-ups on him again at night. Guess he's not ready to wear underwear to bed yet! Or he just pees on purpose so he can come in and sleep in mommy's bed! Hope you're night went much better!!