Wednesday, June 24, 2009


Boys,

Today is your dad and my 9 year anniversary. We went on our first date when we were 17 years old, and after 4 1/2 years of dating, we were married. If I were writing to my two daughters, I'd fill the page with details details details. I'd tell you what your dad was wearing on our first date, I'd tell you how I knew I loved him, and I'd take you step by step through our dating history. But, you are boys. You don't want to know all the romantic lovey dovey stuff, do you? Okay, maybe just a little.

I will tell you what kind of husband your dad is in hopes that you will be the same gift to your wife as your dad is to me. As a senior in high school I was first drawn to Daddy because of his baby blue eyes. I had it set that I was going to marry a baseball player and live happily ever after. Your dad didn't follow baseball, and as a matter of fact, our first Christmas together I bought him a Cubs shirt, key chain, bumper sticker, and hat. He wasn't in to sports like I was, but I loved how your dad was a math whiz, and very successful in his academic endeavors. The first time we actually held a conversation, he came over before youth service and asked if I needed help with my math homework. How is that for a pick up line? Considering I was a Senior in Junior math, I said "yes." He won me over with his intellect, easy going nature, and sarcastic sense of humor. Somehow this "academic" boy and "tomboy" girl fell in love.

On a more serious note, it was his heart for the Lord that drew me to him more than anything. Your dad was one of the only people my age that I knew had a daily quiet time in prayer and reading the Bible. He never missed a service, and he even arrived early to help the youth pastor in whatever capacity was necessary. He worshiped sincerely, and never passed up a chance to pray at the open altar. He accepted everyone in the youth group, and did not to have a judgmental heart. As a teenager and young adult, your dad had a consistency in his walk with the Lord that I admired.

I find myself chasing after your dad's attributes, and I try hard to implement them into my own life. He is so steady and consistent. His faith isn't determined by circumstances, and his relationship with Jesus isn't conditional. No matter what ups and downs life brings, he never looks to the right or the left. He keeps his eyes on Jesus. He is one of the most sincere and authentic people I know, and he puts God's agenda above his own. He is humble, and serves endlessly.

The most important characteristic that makes your dad a great husband is that he loves Jesus first. His commitment to Christ is what makes his commitment to me work. I also admire how he loves me sacrificially-I can be quite a piece of work (I am a first born Italian perfectionist-yikes). He loves me when I am at my worst. He loves me when I am being difficult. He loves me when I feel and act unlovable. He considers my input and feelings, and he always shows concern for me in the decisions he makes. He truly loves me in the same way that Jesus loves His church...constantly, unconditionally, and humbly.

Wanna get really grossed out? Your dad is a hottie, and an awesome kisser so that helps :)

4 comments:

Rae Nolt said...

This is sooooo sweet! Your boys will treasure this post forever! :) Happy 9 years!

Mike Stenglein said...

What?!?! Erik is sarcastic? No way.:-D Congrats to the both of you!

Angel said...

Happy Anniversary! Great pic of you two!!!

Megan said...

Happy 9 YEARS! I love these post to your boys. I also agree with Angel, GREAT PIC!