Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Brother

Yesterday I took the boys to Olivette Nazarene University to watch my brother play them in a soccer game, which TIU won 2-1 in overtime! I love watching my baby brother play. He is almost 19, he has facial hair, and he is in college, so that hardly makes him a baby anymore.

My brother's story is nothing short of amazing. How God has planted people in his life, how God has gifted him, and how God is walking him through his journey in life. Richie is the family comedian. I can't figure out if he is really funny, or if I think he is funny because he reminds me of myself! :) Whenever I'd come home from college breaks, I'd sleep with him. Then once when I was 21 and he was 11 I went to crawl in bed with him, and I noticed he had leg hair. I jumped up out of bed and thought, "he's a guy now. I can't sleep with him anymore!" Then when I was 23 and he was 13 we went to the mall together and I went to hold his hand, and he said, "Beb (my family nickname), I'm a teenager now. I'm not going to hold your hand." My heart wanted to be sad, but I thought it was so funny, that I laughed out loud. He was right.

Because I am ten years older than him, I mothered him just a tad, and he was my shadow. When I was in Jr. High, he'd get up every morning with me and sit in the bathroom while I got ready. He did that until he started realizing that he and I weren't made the same. That's when I screamed for my mom to come and get him out! After that we'd eat cereal together while watching Woody Woodpecker and Sports Center before I left for school. He is what made me want to have boys of my own. I left for college when he was only 7 1/2 years old, and got married when he was 11 1/2 so I feel like I missed out on a lot of his life, but I love him with all my heart. Erik knew that when he started dating me my heart already belonged to two other boys (my dad and my brother). Richard Drew Elton is one of the best people I know, and certainly one of my favorite. I love you Richie Rich.

3 comments:

Kelly Weinberg said...

I remember how much you missed Richie in college! I also remember when you would have dreams about him and you would tell me about them in the morning when we were getting ready for class. You are wonderful older sister to all of your siblings! :)

Janna Howard said...

this made me cry. i miss home so much!

sharonie said...

Sisters are great and all, but I do love having a brother! Not to mention cute, athletic,and funny, brother.